Subject: Re: verified executable kernel modification committed
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 11/01/2002 09:49:50
On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 10:24:04AM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Oh, also, keep in mind, neither verexec nor immutable flags will stop
> you from doing a buffer overflow attack or what have you.

Yes, that is correct.  I am aware of that too.  Having non-executable
stacks will make the launching of such an attack a little bit more
difficult - not impossible though.

It is important that we never consider _one_ thing to  be a total
solution to all our security woes, we need multiple (possibly
overlapping) strategies that can be used in concert to raise the
security level.

--
Brett Lymn