Subject: tar/pax, where's the "verify" option gone ?
To: NetBSD-current <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Xavier HUMBERT <xavier.humbert@xavhome.fr.eu.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/30/2002 21:56:55
I've been off the list for a couple of weeks, but now, when I read the
threads about it, none seem to complain about the --verify aka -W flag
removal.

Does everybody have perfect network connections ?

Does everybody have really reliable tape drives ?

I used to put this options everywhere, since it does not hurt, but now I
have to check zillions of script on gazillions of servers.

Well, not really that much, but a whole day to find and fix every
occurence of "tar -cvWf"

Why, God why, has been this option removed ?

Hint : for those who dare dealing with the GNU devil, why no not keep
old tar, naming it "gnutar" or 'gtar". An alias could do the
substitution in the global environment...

--
Xavier
http://www.freetibet.org