Subject: Re: local rsync hanging?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/27/2002 11:03:09
[ On Sunday, October 27, 2002 at 00:59:55 (-0400), Thor Lancelot Simon wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: local rsync hanging?
>
> Are you using -v?  I and a number of others have repeatedly reported that,
> since 2.3 or so, rsync -v over a large number of files can hang.  I offered
> to try to help the rsync maintainers debug but they appear to prefer to
> ignore the bug reports.

It's apparently fixed in 2.5.5, which is why I asked about the version
being used.

I've been regularly (nightly) doing many large (or at least what I
consider to be relatively large) rsync runs on several different
platforms with 100,000+ files, some between local filesystems and some
over networks, with no problem since upgrading to 2.5.5 -- but prior to
upgrading _none_ of those rsyncs would ever run to completion, not even
with '-n'.

For example (this is a FreeBSD root filesystem containing all system
files execpt X11, all source files except X11, and all of /usr/ports):

Number of files: 122522
Number of files transferred: 4
Total file size: 822076086 bytes
Total transferred file size: 162084 bytes
Literal data: 162128 bytes
Matched data: 0 bytes
File list size: 3020610
Total bytes written: 3182926
Total bytes read: 84

wrote 3182926 bytes  read 84 bytes  25566.35 bytes/sec
total size is 822076086  speedup is 258.27

Another example, this from my rsync.NetBSD.org to my local repo last
night -- it had also stopped working for a bit a while ago (even with
'-n') until the server was upgraded to protocol version 26 too (and then
there was all the fun we had with LP64 problems in completing the
upgrade):

Number of files: 180081
Number of files transferred: 308
Total file size: 2014568875 bytes
Total transferred file size: 10704711 bytes
Literal data: 2793630 bytes
Matched data: 7911081 bytes
File list size: 3196575
Total bytes written: 78351
Total bytes read: 6007987

wrote 78351 bytes  read 6007987 bytes  2213.62 bytes/sec
total size is 2014568875  speedup is 331.00

--
								Greg A. Woods