Subject: Re: pax/tar oddness in pkg_info
To: Charlie Allom <charlie@rubberduck.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/27/2002 10:42:15
[ On Sunday, October 27, 2002 at 15:11:30 (+1100), Charlie Allom wrote: ]
> Subject: pax/tar oddness in pkg_info
>
> I thought thi sused to work? not needing to specify the version
> numbers?

Do you have PKG_PATH set?  Is there a "." or empty element in that path?

What version of pkg_install do you have?  (pkg_info -V)

> 229 yeled@nanook:/usr/pkg/libexec pkg_info teapop
> [15:02]
> tar: Cannot identify format. Searching...
> tar: Sorry, unable to determine archive format.
> pkg_info: tar extract of /usr/pkg/libexec/teapop failed!
> pkg_info: error during unpacking, no info for 'teapop' available

I suspect you have PKG_PATH set with the current directory somewhere in
it before where real packages are located, or that you happen to have a
version of pkg_install which has this bug.

As a result Since you're in /usr/pkg/libexec, and there's a file called
'teapop' in there, pkg_info thinks you're talking about the package
contained in that file, but of course it finds out that file isn't a
package archive and it tells you as much.

Try "cd /; pkg_info teapop"

--
								Greg A. Woods