Subject: Re: Can't execute "init" on mac68k
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/22/2002 18:27:27
On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, David Laight wrote:

> > Any idea what "error 8" means? Is anyone successfully running with
> > the new dynamic root on mac68k?
>
> Do I remember a note saying there was a compiler fix for 68k?

The only recent m68k-specific change I see is to
"gnu/dist/toolchain/gcc/config/m68k/m68k.c", so I tried reverting that
to rev 1.2, and rebuilding everything. With that, it gets a little
further. I can get the "/rescue/init"-"/rescue/sh" shell, but then
every external command ("ls", "fsck") gives "Illegal instruction". If
I try to boot to "/sbin/init", it loops in init (in something like
wscons_.._getkey(), as evidenced by "ddb"), but never starts a shell.

I do have HOST_CFLAGS set to "-O2 -march=k6" (the build host has a
K6-2), which hasn't given me any problems before, but I'll try again
without that in a couple of days.

Frederick