Subject: Re: Confused by kernel cross-building documentation
To: Andreas Gustafsson <gson@gson.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: current-users
Date: 10/21/2002 13:05:09
On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 05:56:50PM -0700, Andreas Gustafsson wrote:

>    Use the build script to build the kernel.

Ok, this text is bogus. What it's trying to say:

  /usr/cross/bin/nbmake-macppc

is a script the sets up the cross-build environment and then calls
nbmake.

>    NetBSD config(8) is
>    architecture independent, so you can use it on the host system.

This is true in some sense, but not true if you mix versions. Config
is target-version dependend, that's why you use /usr/cross/bin/nbconfig
instead of config (and that's why I have a something like /usr/cross
and /usr/cross-1.6 on my machine).

>    % /usr/cross/bin/nbmake-macppc build-script

The "build-script" is just wrong. Leave it out.

The docs on www.netbsd.org have already been updated.

Martin