Subject: Confused by kernel cross-building documentation
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andreas Gustafsson <gson@gson.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/20/2002 17:56:50
I have successfully cross-built a sparc release of -current on i386
and netbooted the GENERIC kernel that was built as part of the
release.  Now I would like to cross-build a custom kernel. I read the
documentation at <http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/cross/> but I
find it confusing:

   Actual cross compilation - kernel

   Use the build script to build the kernel. NetBSD config(8) is
   architecture independent, so you can use it on the host system.

   % cd $TOP/src/sys/arch/macppc/conf
   % cp GENERIC MYCONF
   % vi MYCONF
   % /usr/cross/bin/nbconfig MYCONF
   % cd ../compile/MYCONF
   % /usr/cross/bin/nbmake-macppc depend
   % /usr/cross/bin/nbmake-macppc build-script

1. What build script is it referring to when it says "Use the build
script to build the kernel"?  Does this actually make any sense, or
is this text just left over from an earlier revision of the document?

2. If I actually try to run the commands from the example (adjusting
for the name of my kernel config and the location of my tool directory),
I get

  # /usr/sparc_tools/bin/nbmake-sparc build-script
  nbmake: don't know how to make build-script. Stop

Is the "build-script" target supposed to actually be defined
somewhere, or should the last line of the example just say
"% /usr/cross/bin/nbmake-macppc"?
--
Andreas Gustafsson, gson@gson.org