Subject: Re: gnu tar and cpio have been replaced with pax-based versions
To: Eric Gillespie <epg@pretzelnet.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/17/2002 22:58:12
[ On Thursday, October 17, 2002 at 20:08:05 (-0500), Eric Gillespie wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: gnu tar and cpio have been replaced with pax-based versions
>
> I took a look in pkg_install/create/perform.c.  It passes -T - to
> tar and then writes a list of files to its stdin.  However, it
> apparently expects tar to interpret -C sequences in this list:
>
> Oy.

Yes indeed it does.  The tar front-end for "my" version of pax (i.e. the
OpenBSD version with my patch), has ~always handled this (well at least
ever since I booted GNU Tar off my systems :-).  I had assumed without
checking very carefully that this feature was already in the changes
Christos added to NetBSD pax because I had assumed that my patch was
still in OpenBSD's version from where he was taking his updates.  One
false assumption lead to another and, well, there you go.

What's strange is that in the discussion which started all the work on
pax there was mention of this requirement several times.  It was
certainly nothing new to me -- indeed perhaps the problem was that it
was too old and I'd forgotten exactly what was necessary to make it work
right.  After all I created my fix for this problem something like over
20 months ago now.

Sorry to Christos too for missing this when I was checking over my diffs!

--
								Greg A. Woods