Subject: Re: FYI: upgrading GNU tar
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/14/2002 10:39:22
On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 11:08:23AM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 02:37:17AM -0600, Rick Kelly wrote:
> > So, pax can't really replace GNU tar...
> >
> > Think of all the thousands of NetBSD backup tapes that were done with
> > GNU tar.
>
> Oh, the agony! Those people will have to use pkgsrc to recover from
> their dated tapes!
	Well, maybe you could deal with it, but I know I'd be pretty pissed off
if the "tar" command from a more recent version of NetBSD couldn't deal with
archives created by an older release.  My first thought in that situtation
probably wouldn't be "gee, I guess they took some features out".  It would
be "oh shit, my backup is corrupted".

eric