Subject: Re: FYI: upgrading GNU tar
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/12/2002 21:02:26
Greg A. Woods said:

>Maybe you might think about using Amanda.  It makes it easier to get
>more reliable backups with guaranteed coverage of everything you deem
>important, at the frequencies you deem important, and without really
>increasing the complexity as the number of client systems increases.

Amanda isn't a bad idea if you have a jukebox or a large capacity tape
drive, and a large partition on the Amanda server for caching the data.
I've set it up like that on some fairly large sites.

In my case, I have >75gigs of data and 2 Exabyte 8505 tape drives. I use
scripts on each machine to backup to remote tape at my leisure. It takes
24 tapes to do a full backup, since I don't use the multi-volume capabilities
of dump or gnu tar.

I may well set up a server that fits the requirements of Amanda and my
network in the future.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com