Subject: Re: FYI: upgrading GNU tar
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/11/2002 14:06:49
[ On Friday, October 11, 2002 at 12:07:03 (-0400), gabriel rosenkoetter wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: FYI: upgrading GNU tar
>
> If GNU tar weren't in the tree there'd be no way to do backups
> across rmt, being as pax doesn't know how to deal with it. To me,
> that's a complete show-stopper on using pax.

Why does it have to the in the main distribution?  Don't you have time
to install third-party software before you really need to do backups?

> (Am I missing something?)

	rdump?  :-)

It does support partial backups selected by filenames or directory names
-- you just need multiple runs if the files/directories you backup are
not all on the same filesystem.

--
								Greg A. Woods