Subject: Re: Any known probs with MP i386 and > 1GB mem?
To: Murray Armfield <murray.armfield@arconsulting.com.au>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/11/2002 12:58:07
On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 05:28:53PM +1000, Murray Armfield wrote:
> Hi,
> 	Does anyone know if there are any issues with using more than one GB of
> memory on an i386 MP system running current (yesterday)? Runs fine with 1GB.
> If I add 512MB things are very bad.

The MP code doesn't care about the amount of memory, and it's unlikely
that adding memory will cause any MP-specific problems.

I know of several systems who run with 2 CPUs and 2G of RAM, and are
not seeing problems like this.

> 	Also, I have two processors running at different speeds. The slower one is in
> the primary cpu slot (from when I was using it uniproc), and the faster one
> is in the secondary slot. NetBSD boots up and has swapped the cpu numbering
> and seems to be running off the secondary CPU. Is this OK? Seems fine in use.

There's the CPU number in the order in which they are probed by the
autoconfig mechanism (which uses info from the BIOS tables), and there's
the id they have on the apic bus. These may be different, it's nothing
to worry about.

Using two different CPUs seems a little experimental. It used to be that
even CPUs with different stepping weren't guaranteed to work together.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                                    fvdl@wasabisystems.com
Quality NetBSD Development, Support & Service.   http://www.wasabisystems.com/