Subject: Re: Need 8 ethernets in one box. What is smallest formfactor?
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
From: Johan Ihren <johani@autonomica.se>
List: current-users
Date: 10/10/2002 23:30:37
Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 02:44:17PM +0200, Johan Ihren wrote:
> > I need 8 separate ethernets in one box for a mobile lab setup.

> > It is not possible to overload different logical segments on the
> > same cable, since all of them will have their own dhcp infrastructure.
>
> Yes it is.
>
> I use the vlan driver. One ethernet port on the laptop trunks 802.1q
> packets to an external N-port switch, each port on the switch (other
> than the trunking port) is natively configured into an individual
> vlan.
>
> Works really really well, though best to make sure your ethernet
> driver is one of those that supports oversize frames, as listed in
> vlan(4).

Very interesting. I didn't think of that (I've not yet played with
vlan(4) so this is perhaps a perfect opportunity).

> Well, if you really want this tangle and really don't want
> performance, what about a bunch of usb ethernets?

Yes, that would indeed be ugly. But, you're right that's basically
what I was asking for. But the vlan(4) thing is much more attractive
if I can only find a sufficiently small switch. Portability is key and
a 2950 is a fairly sizeable chunk of equipment to lug around.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Johan