Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/distrib/utils/mksunbootcd
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/10/2002 10:41:48
On Mar 2, 10:10am, Luke Mewburn wrote:
} On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 09:44:13PM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
}   | On Jan 25,  4:32pm, Luke Mewburn wrote:
}   | }
}   | } Module Name:	basesrc
}   | } Committed By:	lukem
}   | } Date:		Thu Oct 10 01:25:04 UTC 2002
}   | }
}   | } Modified Files:
}   | } 	basesrc/distrib/utils/mksunbootcd: mksunbootcd.1
}   | }
}   | } Log Message:
}   | } sparc64 does NOT appear to need a slicemap, so comment out that entire
}   | } section.
}   |
}   |      If you don't use a slicemap, then what do you do to make a
}   | bootable sparc64 CD (I did use one when I made my sparc64 bootable
}   | CD)?
}
} As far as we've been able to tell, the UltraSPARC PROM doesn't use the
} .slicemap file.  When you do "boot cdrom" on an UltraSPARC it just
} tries "boot cdrom:f" by default.  Or at least, as far as the people
} who tested the images that I built have found anyway, because my test
} images did not have a .slicemap file...

     So, what you are saying is that you just have to put the sun4u
boot code in the correct partition?  I built a multi-boot image for
myself (i386, sparc, sparc64).  It had a .slicemap like this:

cat NetBSD-1.6/.slicemapfile
m       1       sun4
m       2       sun4c
m       3       sun4m
m       4       sun4d
m       5       sun4u

(Not sure why I included sun4d).  The makesunbootcd args matched (i.e.
four copies of sparcboot.fs followed by one copy of sparc64boot.fs).  I
test booted it on both my SparcStation 5 (sun4m) and my Ultra 1 (sun4u)
using just "boot cdrom" at the PROM prompt.  On the SS5 it came up with
a script based installer and on the U1 it came up with a sysinst
installer so I know both machines were booting different partitions.
Given that I had the sun4u code in the fifth partition, wouldn't that
have been cdrom:e?  If the U1 didn't use the .slicemap file, then how
did it find the appropriate partition?  (I suppose it might have just
used the last partition on the CD.)

}-- End of excerpt from Luke Mewburn