Subject: Re: CVSUP via cvsup.de.netbsd.org
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.okt.zwei@onlinehome.de>
List: current-users
Date: 10/10/2002 03:08:34
Christopher Richards wrote:
> Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.okt.zwei@onlinehome.de> writes:
>
> > It doesn't seem to be a problem of the CVSup server, which only hands
> > out what it gets. The off-by-one errors appear on a checkout from a CVS
> > repository, either local or over the net.
>
> I think we're talking past each other.  In both cases -- CVSup and
> anoncvs -- the server, whether it be cvsupd, or cvs in server mode,
> needs to be told about non-standard tags.  Plain cvs uses a

Allow me to disagree, although I have only learned about this stuff
today :). As far as I understand it, CVSup transports files. In this
case it transports files from a CVS repository: *,v.

If CVSup changed the contents of repository files you wouldn't have
an original copy of anoncvs.netbsd.org at all.

How could your local CVS repository, hopefully containing 'tag=NetBSD'
in CVSROOT/config, provide the correct files?

> 'CVSROOT/config' file, as you mentioned.  Similarly, cvsupd uses a
> 'CVSROOT/options' file.  If both of these files are in place and
> contain the line 'tag=NetBSD', then checkouts will contain correctly
> expanded revisions regardless of transport (remote / local) or tool
> (cvs / cvsup).

Hmm, you managed to make me read the man page for CVSup again and here
is the solution to our misunderstanding (you had that right :-):

  CVSup supports two primary modes of operation.  They are called CVS mode
  and checkout mode.

I was only talking about CVS mode as a means to mirror the repository.
This needs verbatim copies. You were referring to checkout mode, where
you have a 'date' or 'tag' line in your cvsupfile (which the original
poster had not, btw).

ciao
     Klaus