Subject: Need 8 ethernets in one box. What is smallest formfactor?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Johan Ihren <johani@autonomica.se>
List: current-users
Date: 10/08/2002 14:44:17
Hi,

I need 8 separate ethernets in one box for a mobile lab setup. It is
not possible to overload different logical segments on the same cable,
since all of them will have their own dhcp infrastructure.

Performance is not an issue.

If at all possible I'd like to find some sort of "octopus" ethernet
thingy, a la the Cyclom serial ports, but in a PCcard/PCMCIA
formfactor (yes, I'd actually like to have all eight ethernets in a
laptop if possible). But I don't know if that exists.

Second best would be a PCI-based ethernet-octopus (don't know whether
that exists either), so that I only need one PCI-slot in a small
machine.

Third choice is ordinary PCI quad-ethernets in as small a box as
possible (while still having at least two full height PCI slots).

But overall size (and noice level) are the key characteristics I need
to minimize. Any suggestions welcome.

Regards,

Johan Ihrén