Subject: Re: Broken 1.6?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: current-users
Date: 10/03/2002 22:27:07
On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 10:03:18PM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> > I should have checked it, but I didn't. But I would assume I don't, or
> > something is wrong. When I restore the base tarball, I would assume that
> > libc.so.12 is restored as a link to whatever libc.so.12.xx it was pointing
>
> It's true for libc, which major didn't bup. But you may be failing on
> some other lib, whose major number is different in 1.6 and current.

No, it shouldn't. Since I restored all user programs, *and* libraries from
the 1.6 tarballs, it should all play.
If something had a major number bump, the tarballs should restore the link
along with the library for the older version as well, and they should
co-exist just fine.

Note that programs normally link to the shared library with the major
number explicitly given, so that you will not accidentaly use a library
with the wrong major version.

	Johnny