Subject: Lucent 802.11 (wi) kernel upgrade
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Rasputin <rasputin@idoru.mine.nu>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/2002 12:19:30
 I recently bumped the version of NetBSD to latest current (on Monday),
and found my SparcStation no longer worked as a basestation - it's
using Lucent/Orinoco/Agere/whatever-they're-called-this-week Silver card

1rasputin@nailbunny:rasputin$ dmesg|grep wi
wi0 at pcmcia1 function 0: Lucent Technologies, WaveLAN/IEEE, Version 01.01
wi0: 802.11 address 00:02:2d:2c:ea:74
wi0: using Lucent Technologies, WaveLAN/IEEE
wi0: Lucent Firmware: Station (7.28.1)
wi0: supported rates: 1Mbps, 2Mbps, 5.5Mbps, 11Mbps

in a nell Sbus adapter, acting as a wireless gateway.

I was expecting some problems, judging by the numbers of commits and the
HEADSUPs recently, but I built and boted a new kernel.

A quick ifconfig -a seemed to show it working.

Then my girl rang me at work and said
 'whatever you just did upstairs, undo it'
so I did :)

he card at present is configured entirely through
/etc/ifconfig.wi0, which reads:

!/usr/sbin/wiconfig wi0 -p 1
!/usr/sbin/wiconfig wi0 -c 1
!/usr/sbin/wiconfig wi0 -n NWID
!/usr/sbin/wiconfig wi0 -s STATION
inet 10.9.8.2 netmask 255.255.255.252

so I'm guessing I'd have to rebuild wiconfig at least, and possibly
ifconfig - anything else?

If it matters, I have these versions:

1rasputin@nailbunny:rasputin$ ls -l `which ifconfig wiconfig`
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  291280 Aug 18 01:39 /sbin/ifconfig
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   15932 Aug 18 05:46 /usr/sbin/wiconfig

 Are wi(4) and wiconfig even supported anymore, or have they been
merged into awi and ifconfig? I've been off with RSI past couple of
weeks, so missed the gist of some threads.

I've heard of several people having trouble so would
really like to make as few irreversible changes as possible.

Just wondered what the least painless upgrade path is? Thanks a lot.