Subject: Re: Dynamic libraries, bad libc and problems...
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/2002 23:49:31
On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>
> > I won't say "I said so", except for this line.
> >
> > First of all, the system:
> > VAX-8650 running 1.6H (recently current, I ran a cvs update about a week
> > ago, and I've been running build.sh since then (yes, it takes a week to
> > build the whole /usr/src)).
> >
> > I now have a problem. I ran the whole /usr/src/build.sh, first to an
> > "innocent" place and it ran through the whole build process without any
> > hiccups, and then to /, to install the new binaries.
>
> ??? Why do that? A much safer thing to do is make a release (add -R and
> don't have -d around) and install the tar files.

*That* I would probably recommend. Then you get files installed in what
would probably be defined as the very wrong order. In case your tar stops
somewhere in the middle, you'd have a really botched system, such as /bin
installed, but not /libexec, or /lib.

You should be able to guess what happens after that.

	Johnny