Subject: Re: HEADS UP: i386mp branch merged
To: Andy R <>
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/2002 15:07:27
>> I just merged Bill Sommerfeld's i386mp branch into
>> i386/-current. The
>> code should work fine on 1-CPU systems, and quite
>> well on a lot
>> of multiprocessor systems (certainly the newer
>> ones).
>I apologize if this is a newbie kind of question, but
>I was under the impression at some point that NetBSD
>was going to implement MP in some machine independent
>sort of way. Is this still the case or is it going to
>be implemented in a port by port basis? I'm pretty
>sure I've seen MP work on a Sparc and an Alpha under

any multi-processor implementation is going to involve a large amount
of machine dependent work.  the fact that alphas and vaxen and some
other platforms (sparc? macppc?) can already (mostly) run
multi-processor doesn't really help the i386 platform all that much.

>This may have already been answered, I apologize if it
>has. But this is the first time I've been made aware
>of MP code going into the current branch so maybe it's
>worth addressing.

this is the one that is probably more interesting to more people.