Subject: Re: Dynamic libraries, bad libc and problems...
To: Johnny Billquist <>
From: Jason R Thorpe <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/2002 08:08:44
On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 04:24:29PM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:

 > I cannot just remove the link from and then relink it, unless
 > I'm mistaken, since ln now needs to exist for it to work.
 > I cannot boot /rescue, since that one *too* is built on the latest libc,
 > and so I don't trust it.

...and the hole in your argument -- a static /bin or /sbin would also have
been linked against the new libc, and thus by your argument, you would not
be able to trust it.

 > And what happened between 12.86 and 12.88??? Or did something happen to
 > gcc recently for the VAX?

I am having no trouble with a bleeding edge VAX build (in fact, I just did
a GCC 3.3 "make bootstrap" on my 4000/60).

        -- Jason R. Thorpe <>