Subject: What happened to the line-drawing characters in the X fonts?
To: None <>
From: Olaf Seibert <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/29/2002 19:37:57
I use Mutt as a mail reader, and it likes to use line-drawing characters
for its thread display. In 1.4, not many of the usual console fonts used
to contain them. I was happy to notice in 1.5 that this was improved.
But now in 1.6 we seem to have gone backwards again? At least in the
font I use in my xterms they are suddenly gone...

Results from some random testing (I usually use the lucidasanstypewriter
and AxB fonts):

bad:	6x12
ok:	5x7 5x8 7x14 8x16 10x20

When checking on my default font, lucidasanstypewriter-12,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/lutRS12.pcf.gz, it seems that although
the compressed file differs from the old one, uncompressed it is
identical. So now I am really wondering what happened...

Oh, and it is quite annoying that an update of X overwrites all X config
files, such as those of xfs and xdm, xinitrc...
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@       -- Woe betide the one who feels
\X/  -- remorse without sin - Tom Poes, "Het boze oog", 4444.