Subject: wi driver in current
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: current-users
Date: 09/29/2002 10:42:23
Is anyone using the wi driver with lucent based cards with a current version
after the latest jumbo-patch to wi.c and friends?

I'm not sure I'm not haluzinating, or something changed to my computer room
that makes RF distribution bad, or whatever, so I'm not at the state to file
a PR - BUT:

It seems like the driver "pauses" for short periods (in the order of maybe a
second or two) now and then. I'm typing this over a ssh connection
to another machine, and while typing this paragraph have seen the effect
already three times. What happens is: I type, but the characters are not
displayed, until the "freeze" is over (within a few seconds) and then appear
all at once on the screen.

I've never seen this with the old driver version nor when using a ep0 card
and a cable).

Is this a bug? Do others see this as well? Is this implied in the change
from the lucent-internal non-802.11-compliant BSS mode I apparently used
before to adhoc mode?

I hope it's a bug and can be fixed ;-}

Martin

P.S.: Some hard data: I have (few) collisions, but they do not happen at the
same time as the "freeze" (watched with netstat -I wi0 -w 1). The driver seem
to not report comms quality/signal/noise correctly any more.

Name  Mtu   Network       Address              Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs Colls
wi0   1500  <Link>        00:02:2d:21:0f:64     4168     0     5254     0    70

Quality on this laptop:
Comms quality/signal/noise:		[ 0 27 27 ]
TX rate (selection):			[ 3 ]
TX rate (actual speed):			[ 11 ]

Quality on the peer:
Name  Mtu   Network       Address              Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs Colls
wi0   1500  <Link>        00:02:2d:21:10:7b    12336     0    11686     0   670