Subject: Re: which init? (Was Re: HEADS UP: fully dynamic linked system now the default)
To: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/26/2002 22:27:16
On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 10:21:48PM +0200, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
> Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 02:40:19PM -0400, William Waites wrote:
> > > Is there  a way to  turn this off?  IIUC it makes marking  the console
> > > insecure   in  /etc/ttys  useless   since  you   can  just   boot  '-a
> > > /bin/sh'... Just like that Finnish OS (init=/bin/sh) ;)
> >
> > Did you try it ? I'm not sure /bin/sh will work on NetBSD as proc 1.
> > Especially I'm not sure file descriptors 0,1,2 would be properly open.
>
> Doesn't actually matter too much - the user could just run their
> specially adjusted init (the source is available, after all).

This means the user can write to the root filesystem. It's not always true
(MFS /tmp, separate /var partition). On i386 you can arrange to have
2 disks: one for booting on which regular user can't write, and one
for user-writable partition, hidden from the bios.
I think it would be quite safe in this case ...

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>