Subject: Re: PAM
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 09/25/2002 11:16:54
>I would say that solving this problem -- i.e. correcting and
>re-implementing the kernel API for AFS authentication would be the best
>use of anyone's time, esp. given the already available designs.

That's your OPINION; one I don't happen to share.

>Regardless you still don't need PAM.  Period.  NetBSD is an open source
>system.  You can more easily integrate any authentication scheme of your
>choice, and easily make it work with AFS, without building PAM for
>NetBSD, and doing so does not require re-writing the authentication
>schemes -- only modifying their APIs, and probably trivially at that.

I know I don't need PAM; I have certainly lived without it on many systems.
However, I find myself wasting a lot of time struggling with problems
that PAM would let me solve, even on open-source operating systems.

>I has been designed and implemented by at least two different parties
>that I could find in two minutes of google searching, and as much as
>five years ago at that!

I am skeptical that someone has already implemented a new API for AFS
that will solve my needs, and google didn't come up with anything useful
for me; I'm willing to look at something, though (but it has to be
REAL, not some research project that has been quietly bit-rotting).
So point me to some URL's; I'll check 'em out.

--Ken