Subject: Re: magic.mgc not cross-buildable?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/24/2002 18:17:09
On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> There must be more to it than endianness (sizeof int, perhaps?),
> becuase the cross-build from i386 works fine. When you run file over
> the *.mgc files, it even says little-endian, but it still works.

Ah, didn't realize file knew how to handle both endians... in that case,
it's just the structure padding problem mentioned in the "Re: CVS
commit:  basesrc/usr.bin/file" thread from
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2002/06/ ... the magic.mgc
made on the alpha is 516432 bytes long, and the one made on the Mac is
497988 bytes long (both made from the same magic file). And I just
noticed that the version that added attribute(packed) didn't make it
into NetBSD 1.6...