Subject: Re: PAM
To: Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/23/2002 14:13:57
[ On Sunday, September 22, 2002 at 19:22:50 (-0400), Gary Thorpe wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: PAM
>
> What about systems that CANNOT be rebooted every time
> you want to add capabilities? Reconfigure and
> reboot...sounds like Windows, not UNIX (at least not
> modern UNIX).

I'm sorry, but that's so bogus it barely deserves an answer.

If you can't plan for scheduled _and_ unscheduled downtime of your
systems then you've got way larger problems than PAM can ever solve!

Changing authentication schemes is not something you should be ever
allowed to do lightly and without very deep consideration and planning.

Besides, who the heck said you have to reboot just to re-install some
simple static-linked software.  "Sounds more like Windows to me!"

It's not even impossible to consider restarting 'init' from a new
executable in a high availability scenario!  Just signal it to save its
state and re-exec!  Why would you even dream that a reboot would be
needed on a unix system to change static-linked software!?!?!?

--
								Greg A. Woods