Subject: Re: CVS commit: xsrc/xfree/xc/programs/xterm
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/17/2002 09:45:15
On Sep 17,  8:18pm, kre@munnari.OZ.AU (Robert Elz) wrote:

Yes, it is not right, but there is no other way to test for the
feature short of autoconf like methods. I am just trying to provide
a good temporal correlation of when the feature appeared. Running
a 1.6F kernel on a 1.5ZC userland will still work as long as you
don't make your <sys/..> match your 1.6F kernel. If you update your
sys code, then you might as well update the rest of the include
headers, otherwise other unexpected lossage can happen.

christos

| This can't really be right.  1.6C is a kernel version (or in this case,
| the way it is tested, a kernel include file version).
|
| That value only has a slightly more than passing reference to the
| version of userland that is installed (some of us update our kernels
| almost daily, but almost never update userland).
|
| I know I'm running 1.6F on one system that is more like 1.5ZC userland
| I believe.
|
| kre
-- End of excerpt from Robert Elz