Subject: Re: ti0: mbuf allocation failed -- packet dropped!
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Markus W Kilbinger <kilbi@rad.rwth-aachen.de>
List: current-users
Date: 09/15/2002 20:07:43

    >> - How to avoid these hangs? Further NMBCLUSTERS increase?

    Manuel> No, it's not an NMBCLUSTERS issue. It's running out of
    Manuel> mbuf headers. Does unplugging the network stop the message
    Manuel> stream ?

I didn't try this... maybe next time :-/

    Manuel> Can you log in when this happens ?

No, the machine is completely dead at this point: No reaction to any
kind of input; even pinging it fails.

    >> - Should these error messages ever appear (== bug)?

    Manuel> There can always be memory shortage. However in your case
    Manuel> it looks like something doesn't release memory ...

Hm, quite dangerous! ;-) Does this memory shortage only involve
incoming or also outgoing network traffic?

I do some large rsync's over night; could they leave the memory pool
in some kind of instable state?

Does anybody else see these messages?

Markus.