Subject: Re: installboot(8) booting from RAID? -- which ports / platforms?
To: Brian A. Seklecki <>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/14/2002 10:04:22

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 07:30:05AM -0400, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:

> As best I understand it, on sparc, primary boot blocks are stored in the
> first few sectors of the disk.=20

that is wrong - primary boot blocks are stored on the first few sectors of
the root partition, which is not necessarily the same.

> ..........................  These are loaded by OpenBOOT which they reads
> the UFS (or RAID hopefully) filesystem and sees /boot, the secondary boot
> loader.  Please correct me if I'm wrong here >:}

This, however, is correct.

To be precise: SunOS4 used to hardwire the data block number assigned by th=
file system into the bootblock, like we do on i386. I think that NetBSD/spa=
uses filesystem-aware primary bootblocks.

seal your e-mail:

Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (NetBSD)
Comment: For info see