Subject: HEADS UP: Merge the gehenna-devsw branch.
To: None <email@example.com>
From: MAEKAWA Masahide <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: 09/06/2002 22:45:13
I have merged the gehenna-devsw branch into the trunk.
This merge makes you recompile config(8).
Yes. ``MUST RECOMPILE config(8)''. Please don't forget this.
This changes is VERY large, so any mirror sites will be busy for a moment.
(Even so, please don't blame me. :)
Thanks in advance and enjoy the NetBSD!
The commit log:
Merge the gehenna-devsw branch into the main trunk.
This merge changes the device switch tables from static array to
dynamically generated by config(8).
- All device switches is defined as a constant structure in device drivers.
- The new grammer ``device-major'' is introduced to ``files''.
device-major <prefix> char <num> [block <num>] [<rules>]
- All device major numbers must be listed up in port dependent majors.<arch>
by using this grammer.
- Added the new naming convention.
The name of the device switch must be <prefix>_[bc]devsw for auto-generation
of device switch tables.
- The backward compatibility of loading block/character device
switch by LKM framework is broken. This is necessary to convert
from block/character device major to device name in runtime and vice versa.
- The restriction to assign device major by LKM is completely removed.
We don't need to reserve LKM entries for dynamic loading of device switch.
- In compile time, device major numbers list is packed into the kernel and
the LKM framework will refer it to assign device major number dynamically.
The short description:
The proposal and detail description is available at:
--- MAEKAWA Masahide
--- Key fingerprint = BC5E D8CB 816C 2CB5 8560 FDE3 6CB8 BF5D 8D50 F2EE