Subject: HEADS UP: Merge the gehenna-devsw branch.
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: MAEKAWA Masahide <bishop@rr.iij4u.or.jp>
List: current-users
Date: 09/06/2002 22:45:13
I have merged the gehenna-devsw branch into the trunk.

This merge makes you recompile config(8).
Yes. ``MUST RECOMPILE config(8)''. Please don't forget this.

This changes is VERY large, so any mirror sites will be busy for a moment.
(Even so, please don't blame me. :)

Thanks in advance and enjoy the NetBSD!

The commit log:
---
Merge the gehenna-devsw branch into the main trunk.

This merge changes the device switch tables from static array to
dynamically generated by config(8).

- All device switches is defined as a constant structure in device drivers.

- The new grammer ``device-major'' is introduced to ``files''.

- All device major numbers must be listed up in port dependent majors.<arch>
  by using this grammer.

- Added the new naming convention.
  The name of the device switch must be <prefix>_[bc]devsw for auto-generation
  of device switch tables.

- The backward compatibility of loading block/character device
  switch by LKM framework is broken. This is necessary to convert
  from block/character device major to device name in runtime and vice versa.

- The restriction to assign device major by LKM is completely removed.
  We don't need to reserve LKM entries for dynamic loading of device switch.

- In compile time, device major numbers list is packed into the kernel and
  the LKM framework will refer it to assign device major number dynamically.
---

Other resources:

The short description:
      doc/BRANCHES

The proposal and detail description is available at:
      http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-kern/2001/06/28/0000.html

--- MAEKAWA Masahide
--- Key fingerprint = BC5E D8CB 816C 2CB5 8560  FDE3 6CB8 BF5D 8D50 F2EE