Subject: Re: LFS panic
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/04/2002 10:23:11
On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 01:07:46PM +0200, Julio Merino wrote:
<snip>
> Well, I built xsrc (which placed all the object files inside /sources/xsrc).
> Yesterday I went to /sources/xsrc and did 'make cleandir'. Haha, the kernel
> panic'ed:
>
> lfs_truncate: segment 216159 short by 8192
> panic: lfs_truncate: negative bytes
>
> I tried 'sync' from ddb, and it COMPLETLY hangs. It says 'syncing disks...'
> and it stays there, no possibility to reboot. I think I can't get a core...
>
> Is this panic a known issue? Maybe I need to reformat the drive using
> the same bsize and fsize? (i.e. 8192/8192 or 4096/4096...)

I had this happen to me constantly while doing make cleandir in /usr/src here,
which resides on an LFS slice. I stopped using LFS for a while, and recently
started again, but I created the filesystem with bsize=fsize (8192), and have
not had any problems with it since. I think the bsize != fsize was what was
causing the issue, and Conrad had suggested to me a while back that I use
the same bsize and fsize.

--
/~\ The ASCII
/ \ Email!