Subject: Re: TI TravelMate 5000 pcmcia problems?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 09/04/2002 10:53:42
> > I'm not sure we talk about the same "cardbus" here. I don't think you can
> > tell the difference from being able to insert (or not being able to) a
> > cardbus card - it's the same physical connector, only some other pins shorted
> > to tell the bridge what kind of card it is.
>
> My cardbus cards have a 'fatter' thread on the side to stop them going
> in a pcmcia slot only, also a ridge of bumps along the top slot.

IIRC the physical connector is different for 5v pcmcia, 3v pcmcia
and cardbus - by keying the plastic end caps.

A slot can accept all card types and use the wire links to
determine what has been inserted before applying power.

A 5v only pcmcia slot is likely to power up anything that is
inserted...

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk