Subject: Re: /rescue, crunchgen'ed?
To: None <Richard.Earnshaw@arm.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/30/2002 10:16:56
>My netwinder has a completely separate 'rescue' partition, that has a
>kernel and a minimal set of tools.  The idea is that you *never* update
>that (or only very rarely); you never mount it normally either.  Then when
>things really go pear shaped you tell the BIOS to boot from that instead
>of the normal partition and mount your screwed up world on that so that
>you can fix it all up.
>
>The main advantage of that approach is that it avoids some of the cases
>where you've screwed up /dev, say, and can nolonger boot from your main
>partition at all.  But the cost is more disk space since you need a
>kernel, /etc, and other bits and bobs on it.
>
>It's sort of like a 'floppy on the hard disk'.

sorta like keeping a copy of the install kernel with the md filesystem
and the crunchgen'ed binary install tools in the root of each
partition so that you can boot from anywhere and have a toolset to fix
stuff...

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."