Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: NetBSD-current <>
From: Xavier HUMBERT <>
List: current-users
Date: 08/29/2002 19:30:30
In article <>, (Thor
Lancelot Simon) wrote :

> This is a good change.  In many ways, it's overdue.  We need to address
> the performance problems, but we can do that -- so long as we do, this is
> the right change to make, and now is the right time.

Well, I carefuully read this whole huge thread from the beginning, and
my mind changed.

At first, I was against this change, but now, I'm for it.

But I strongly second all poeple who did focus on performance penalty.

- use a prebinding mechanism like NextStep^WDarwin/MacOSX does
- at least, please make "helpers" (rm, touch, mkdir, cat, echo,
test, ...) all this sort of things commonly used in shell scripts
statically linked. And /bin/sh, too, obviously (many of those I qutoed
are actually builtins)

Provided that, it's a good changed, after all...

Oh, one more thing to mention : I think this discussion is a little
biased by the fact that worstation and servers needs are not exactly the
same. Should be kept in mind.