Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: Jason R Thorpe <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: current-users
Date: 08/28/2002 17:30:55
[ On Tuesday, August 27, 2002 at 21:57:12 (-0700), Jason R Thorpe wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
> On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 12:09:44AM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>  > In my mind shared libraries are always less than stable  :-)
> Do you build your entire system *NOW* with LDSTATIC=-static?
> My guess is "no".

Yes, I do [*].  xsrc and applications and everything.  Well, except for
mozilla -- I've no idea how to coerce it into building statically, and
no desire to learn or try either :-)

$ file /usr/sbin/httpd
/usr/sbin/httpd: ELF 32-bit (SYSV) MSB executable, SPARC, version 1, statically linked, stripped
$ size /usr/sbin/httpd
text    data    bss     dec     hex     filename
1399056 76788   62980   1538824 177b08  /usr/sbin/httpd

(that's apache, with mod_ssl, built from pkgsrc with PREFIX=/usr)

[*] only my sparc systems so far, and one test i386, but slowly I grind
along -- alpha is next on my list, once I get my multias running again,
or if I luck into some surplus machines.

> In any case, you are free to live in the stone ages and use an all-static
> system if you want (even though it's not likely that you do it now).

"stone ages"? -- my system is significantly faster for many computing
jobs than any equivalent using primarily dynamic-linked binaries.  It's
actually quite refreshing to get good performance from software designed
to run on unix -- i.e. little programs and lots of processes starting
frequently, such as things written as scripts using lots of standard

It's also all the (nearly) current NetBSD code and all the features I
could ever want and then some.

If I had lots of free time I would like to try implementing kernel level
shared libraries just to see if that could help lower memory utilization
and maybe I/Os on systems where lots of different programs are often run
and thus setting ISVTX on them all wouldn't be an improvement.

								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <>;           <>