Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
From: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@wheel.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 08/28/2002 10:44:21
On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 11:47:10PM -0400, David Maxwell wrote:
> /rescue is very similar to an idea that I believe I first heard from
> Andrew Brown - keep a sysinst 'boot floppy' kernel image in /, so you
> can boot from an mfs-backed crunchgen'd set of repair tools if you ever
> need to.

I like this. With a shared /bin we *do* lose the ability to do simple
recovery operations easily, and having a /rescue bag on the side doesn't
really change that.

With a /stand/rescue.gz ramdisk kernel, however, we would get the 'oops,
scragged ld.so, but I won't have to reach for bootable media' feature
of /rescue, but also not have to keep a backup kernel around ourselves -
something the current system doesn't provide.

--
Soren