Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/28/2002 00:16:28
[ On Tuesday, August 27, 2002 at 20:14:23 (-0700), Jason R Thorpe wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
>
> On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 10:50:48PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>
>  > The only thing this silly "plugability" nonsense really gets you is a
>  > feature that's entirely and totally unecessary in any open source system.
>
> So link your entire system statically (you have that option, after all)

I did, and I like it.

Unfortunately it seems people are strongly pushing in directions where
that option will essentially (though perhaps not actually -- just for
what amounts to all intents and purposes) be taken away, even when its
not really necessary to do so if some thought is put into the effort
now, up-front, before a critical juncture is reached.

and all for reasons that people keep saying they've thought long and
hard about, but which I'm apparently not alone in wondering just exactly
how those conclusions were reached, especially those which are publicly
justified by what looks to me like no more than smoke and mirrors.

--
								Greg A. Woods