Subject: Re: 'prebind' implementation (was Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system)
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@mogua.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/28/2002 11:16:17
On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 09:25:47PM -0400, Andrew Brown wrote:
> > - '.pplt' has resolved symbolic references, so there's no need to invoke
> >   dynamic linker, ld.elf_so(1), for unresolved references as current
> >   dynamic linking mechanism works. I expect we can get lots of time
> >   savings here.
>
> this presupposes that shared objects will be loaded at the same
> location from invocation to invocation, no?

No, 'prebind' will figure out mappings of shared objects in process
address space same as ld.elf_so(1) actually does for different process
images. For example, libc.so.12 will be supposed to be loaded at
0x48056000 for /usr/bin/foo and 0x48058000 for /usr/bin/bar.

Jun-Young

--
Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@mogua.com>