Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: Oleg Polyanski <Oleg.Polianski@team.telstraclear.co.nz>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 08/28/2002 02:16:55
On Tue 27 Aug 2002 at 15:37:54 +1200, Oleg Polyanski wrote:
>  I am not prompting, however, for switching
>  NetBSD to XCOFF, even though some XCOFF stuff is really neat,
>  especially the lack of separate static and dynamic libraries -
>  you have got only one file for both purposes.

As I recall, BeOS had that property also (at least on the PPC, the i386
version used some other executable format). It used whatever Apple was
using for MacOS (PEF). And if you wrote an add_on (shared object) that
needed to use symbols from your main executable, you could link it with
that executable and the dynamic import at runtime would work
automagically. So a new version of the main executable would not break
this.

> Take care,
> Oleg
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@       -- Woe betide the one who feels
\X/ polderland.nl  -- remorse without sin - Tom Poes, "Het boze oog", 4444.