Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: Andrew Cagney <cagney@mac.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/2002 16:41:59
On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Andrew Cagney wrote:

> As for /recover:
>
> - it isn't used by default so how does anyone even know it works?  At
> least a normal boot gets to work out the normal binaries and boot paths.
>
> - remembering to type /recover/init or /recover/sh is going to, er,
> confuse people and feel very strange to (umm) unix bigots.

We will have a bit of educating to do. I think AB's idea of noticing if we
succeeded wiht the fork is a good one, and we might auto-fallback to the
rescue tools easily

> - does ``init'' really need to be internationalized?

Maybe, maybe not. But init CERTAINLY can benefit from nsswitch modules and
auth modules.

There are three things which programs are benefiting from: easier locale
support (Asian languages are the ones that make the most difference),
nsswitch modules, and eventually loadable auth modules. Different programs
benefit from different of those advantages.

Take care,

Bill