Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: Andrew Cagney <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/2002 16:41:59
On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Andrew Cagney wrote:

> As for /recover:
> - it isn't used by default so how does anyone even know it works?  At
> least a normal boot gets to work out the normal binaries and boot paths.
> - remembering to type /recover/init or /recover/sh is going to, er,
> confuse people and feel very strange to (umm) unix bigots.

We will have a bit of educating to do. I think AB's idea of noticing if we
succeeded wiht the fork is a good one, and we might auto-fallback to the
rescue tools easily

> - does ``init'' really need to be internationalized?

Maybe, maybe not. But init CERTAINLY can benefit from nsswitch modules and
auth modules.

There are three things which programs are benefiting from: easier locale
support (Asian languages are the ones that make the most difference),
nsswitch modules, and eventually loadable auth modules. Different programs
benefit from different of those advantages.

Take care,