Subject: Re: "Stale utmp entry"
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/2002 14:46:41
On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, John F. Woods wrote:

> I'm getting a log of stale utmp entries as I log in and out from my
> system (NetBSD 1.6E).  Is there something I've probably forgotten to
> rebuild?

No, it's still in 1.6F. It also happens with mgetty (PR 12261).

I think the error is bogus. If "w" can't match the utmp entry to a
process leader, it should just print a "-" in the WHAT column. At the
very least, it should place a more information whine in the WHAT
column, rather than spewing a warning onto the user's terminal.

Frederick