Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/2002 11:01:57
On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> It's not like people didn't think about this stuff.

Jason makes a point I think may have been missed by some of the folks
uncomfortable with this change.

Folks DID think about this. At first *I* didn't like it. However after
hearing all of the thoughts on it, I concluded that making /bin and /sbin
dynamic is the best way to do what we want (maintainable locale support,
nsswitch modules, auth modules later on).

There are lots of problems with trying to wedge dynamic linking into
static binaries. The folks who take care of our toolchain, who know what
is easy and hard, say it's hard to do. Why not trust them to know what
they are talking about?

Take care,

Bill