Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/2002 18:36:22
On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 05:55:37PM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>
>  > Look, I didn't want to take the security discussion, but if you insist...
>  > Yes, you are most likely hosed if your libc becomes compromised.
>  > But you have to realize it as well. Without /bin and /sbin dynamically
>  > linked, they are more protected anyhow, and can be more trusted (even
>  > though that's no guarantee either), and you can perhaps make it back from
>  > there. With dynamically linked stuff, you'll have to revert to
>  > /rescue.
>
> How is reverting to /rescue any different than reverting to /bin and /sbin?

*Sigh* I've already gone through at least three times why I consider
/rescue to be a bad thing. Do I really need to do this again?

>  > Heck, you're talking to someone who have a tradition of physically
>  > write-protect drives with "interesting" binaries on public systems...
>  > (Another reason I don't like PC hardware; where is the write protect
>  > switch? :-)
>
> There is almost always a jumper on the drive for this.

Hmmm. I seem to remember that I perhaps have seen one on SCSI drives,
yes. But SCSI isn't really PC hardware, even though it's close.
But I don't think I like having to go in and add/remove jumpers every time
I need to update something on my disk, and there are no switches available
on a PC box.

	Johnny