Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@wheel.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/2002 18:35:30
I am somewhat hesitant about the shlibs idea, but I think I can
swallow it as long as we aren't getting a /lib.d :-)

I like the current way where / is small and simple.

But it occurs that me that if/when (sounds like when to me) we go to
shlibbed /, we might as well reap some of the advantages it offers,
and that includes simplicity.

I thought that it might be nice to then have e.g. vi in / for a more
user-friendly /, but why not go further?

Enter Solaris. [NetBSD major number delenda est. Yay, NetBSD 7!]

Something along the lines of..

ln -s /bin /usr/bin
ln -s /lib /usr/lib
ln -s /sbin /usr/sbin

I.e. don't let / and /usr play chicken in a particle accelerator,
but moderately enlarge / and make it significantly more useful,
avoid "src/lib and src/usrlib", but do not go so far as to make
the /usr abstraction meaningless (libexec, share etc.).

Comments?

--
Soren