Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/2002 08:36:40
On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 05:28:32PM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:

 > So there really is no checking here. It's implicitly taken care of by the
 > fact that every shared object that refer to one that has it's major number
 > bumped should also have the major number bumped.

ld.elf_so does do some version # sanity checking.  Although, ELF's shared
library implementation is sort of weak in this area.

 > And you asked why I called shared libraries in Unix a hack? :-)

This particular issue has nothing to do with "shared libraries in Unix".
One could certainly invent a shared library system for Unix which had
strict symbol version checking.  However, there's a performance trade-off
to be had there.

It's not like people didn't think about this stuff.