Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/2002 00:08:11
On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 05:26:07PM -0600, Rick Kelly wrote:
> Greywolf said:
>
> >No, the system will go
> >
> >    rcrt0.o: ld.so failed /* or something like that */
> >    Enter full pathname of shell, or RETURN for /bin/sh:
>
> Which makes this whole exercise useless for expecting systems to be
> able to autoboot unattended anymore.

I don't see how you'd be worse off.

Currently, if you hose dynamic linking, your /usr/libexec/getty and
/usr/sbin/sshd won't run, so I don't think you can say such a system
will 'autoboot unattended' in any case.

You would need to intervene, and boot -s and fix the ld.so (or whatever
you broke). The same is true with the new setup.

If you don't spend energy getting what you want,
	You'll have to spend it dealing with what you get.
					      - Unknown