Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: Luke Mewburn <>
From: None <>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/2002 11:43:09
>  | > I'm not sure about what is the right thing for people using binary
>  | > snapshot or "make build", though. I guess perhaps the extra labor
>  | > may be acceptable for those people.
>  | I guess something like etc/postinstall can list up obsolete libraries
>  | and suggest user to move them.
>This is a good idea.
>An extension of this is to find "obsolete" minor library versions
>(in /usr/lib and /lib) to suggest for removal.  Something to consider...

	just checking:
	- normal binaries (like /usr/bin/vi, for instance) will link against
	  /usr/lib/, not /lib/
	- only those binaries in / partition (/sbin/ping) will link against
	  /lib/, not /usr/lib/
	am i correct?

	even if /usr/lib/ is a symlink, i think the above is an
	important point.  think of shlib major bump (in libtermcap or whatever)
	and old binaries in /usr/pkg/bin.