Subject: Re: problems booting really small machines to multi-user mode
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/26/2002 18:37:41
[ On Monday, August 26, 2002 at 22:44:34 (+0200), Martin Weber wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
>
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 04:35:29PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > [...]
> > As it is it takes my 486sx25/4MB laptop well over an hour (IIRC -- a
> > _very_ long time in any case) with /etc/rc.d et al to get to the point
> > where it might try to run a getty on the wscons display [...]
>
> Wow. Mine (486 @ 66, 4 MB RAM, 1.5 ZC) takes about 3-4 minutes. I have the feeling
> you should investigate what's really going on there

I probably should....

I should also not that I have not yet tried that "fast & loose" option...

> (although I bet that
> it's a royal PITA to do so when it currently takes an hour to boot up :-)

It is....  :-)

but normally when I use that machine I just run dhclient from single
user mode, then 'ssh'....  :-)

I wanted to try taking it to multi-user mode the default way so that I
could see how well it worked and then if it worked "OK" I would do that
whenever expected I wanted multiple virtual terminals.

As is I muddle through manually firing up virtual terminals and then
just manually start shells on them.....

--
								Greg A. Woods