Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/26/2002 16:37:20
Greywolf said:

>But for locales?  Obviously I am not understanding locale support
>correctly, for if I were, I probably wouldn't be asking all these
>stupid questions.  The last time I looked at locale things, they were
>text-ish files compiled down into other files which were then put into
>directories which were subsequently referenced by envariables.

Indeed, why drag in all kinds of locale crap for usage().

/home/rmk> cat -?
cat: illegal option -- ?
usage: cat [-benstuv] [-] [file ...]

Fijitsu Japanese SVR4 uses English for info returned by commands. Probably,
largely due to the fact that many languages don't have native words to deal
with computer terms.

Another company, Edisa, in Spain had a Spanish SVR3, whose command output
was all in Spanish. Some of the expressions were quite humorous when
translated.

Solaris complete locale support including special development libs for
new local support increases the size of /usr/lib/locale to >1gb when
the package is installed.

Most of /bin, except for the shells, have no need for locale support.

/bin/sync?

And I hope NetBSD never has PAM. On Linux and Solaris it has had a lot
of security holes.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com